12 Apr 2013

Sources of Inspiration

Whilst conducting my research into my concept, I came across a few sites which looked in to the science of the coral reef and how the different plants work. 
I learnt about Coral Polyps and found some diagrams about their anatomy. 
Polyp anatomy
Taken from - http://www.coralscience.org/main/coral-reefs

I then continued to research into what actually damages a coral reef. I found out that divers who swim to reefs looking for fish which are either sold to fancy restaurants or for private use, stun the fish with cyanide and this poisons the reefs. Another way of damaging the reefs is the oil spills from cargo ships that export and import oil to countries all over the world, this then  sinks into the waters and poisons the reefs. Over time all these chemicals start affecting the coral and it starts to bleach the coral and it dies. 
The most damaging is the pollution of the sea. Littering and sewage that is let into the sea full of chemicals that we use from cleaning products and food waste poisons the waters and stops the reefs from being able to breath. 

Websites used:

No comments:

Post a Comment